History of Patricroft Station
Patricroft Station is located at the point where the world’s first inter-city passenger railway crosses the world’s first commercial canal. It is one of the stations on the Liverpool to Manchester railway, a major engineering feat, built across Chat Moss by George Stephenson, opened in 1830, mainly to carry passengers between the two cities.
There was a large power depot with steam sheds on the land to the rear of the present Manchester platform, but activity there ceased in 1968. All the station buildings were demolished in the 1980s and all that remains now are two brick shelters, one on each platform. It is the only railway station in the area that provides access to the Bridgewater Canal.
In 1851 Queen Victoria travelled by train from Liverpool to Patricroft to board a barge to Worsley, where she was to be a guest of the Earl of Ellesmere during her visit to Manchester. The Queen’s Arms situated just down the line from the station, claims to be the world’s first railway public house and is a Grade II listed building. It was opened in 1828 anticipating trade from the railway. At one time it had direct access to the station, but is now fenced off from it. It is said that Queen Victoria used the facilities here before she boarded the royal barge to Worsley when she visited in 1851. The pub was originally called the Patricroft Tavern, but changed its name after the Queen’s visit.
A group called FROPS (Friends of Patricroft Station) have worked hard to improve the outlook of Patricroft. For more information go to their website FROPS